I’ve been a (co-) organizer of several scientific meetings and white papers. Here’s some information about a few of them:
– Astrophysics in the Far Ultraviolet
(Victoria, B.C., August, 2004) for which I was both on the organizing committee and the “executive” proceedings editor
– The Local Bubble and Beyond II
(Philadelphia, PA, April, 2008) for which I served on the Scientific Organizing Committee
– Science Opportunities For new Instrumentation, Asilomar 2010 (Asilomar, CA, June, 2010) for which I was both on the organizing committee and the editor of the electronic proceedings.
– The Local Truth: Galactic Star-formation and Feed-back in the SOFIA Era – Celebrating 50 years of airborne astronomy
(Asilomar, CA, Oct 17-21, 2016), for which I was a member of the organizing committee.
– Polarimetry 20/20 Vision I’m currently working on organizing this workshop to plan and organize White Papers in support of UV/O/IR polarimetry to the 2020 Decadal Survey. We’re intending to hold the meeting in Santa Cruz, CA, in early October 2017.
SOFIA Staff Science Symposia
I’ve organized four internal “Annual” SOFIA Staff Science Symposia, where the SOFIA scientists can share their projects and form new collaborations
I was the initiator and co-editor (with Dan Clemens of Boston U.) of five white papers on the importance of optical/infrared polarimetry submitted to the
2010 NRC Astronomy/Astrophysics Decadal Survey:
– O/IR Polarimetry for the 2010 Decade (GAN): Science at the Edge, Sharp Tools for All
– O/IR Polarimetry for the 2010 Decade (PSF): Science at the Edge, Sharp Tools for All
– O/IR Polarimetry for the 2010 Decade (CGT): Science at the Edge, Sharp Tools for All
– O/IR Polarimetry for the 2010 Decade (SSE): Science at the Edge, Sharp Tools for All
– Understanding Polarized Foreground from Dust: Towards Reliable Measurements of CMB Polarization
I also co-authored Steve McCandliss’ white paper to the Decadal Survey on:
– Project Lyman: Resolving the Physics Behind Reionization
I led and wrote a white paper to the NRC
Committee on a Strategy to Optimize the U.S. Optical and Infrared System in the Era of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) on:
I similarly led and wrote a white paper on the need for UV polarimetry to the NASA COPAG on the:
– Science Cases for Ultraviolet Polarimetry in the 21st Century